Neck and shoulder pain are both common conditions which will affect most people to some extent during their lifetime. In many cases, the pain is mild and easy to manage. However, some people have neck and shoulder pain so severe and chronic that it seriously affects their quality of life. In this article, we will look at how to prevent and how to get rid of neck pain, the natural way.
What causes neck and shoulder pain?
There are many different causes of neck and shoulder pain. Some of the most common are:
- Bad sleeping position
- Poor posture
- Prolonged computer use
- Whiplash injuries
- Cervical spondylosis
- Osteoarthritis of shoulder
- Frozen shoulder
- Pinched nerve in shoulder
- Rotator cuff injuries
If you have neck or shoulder pain that is not relieved by over-the-counter painkillers, or lasts longer than a few days, you should consult your physician. However, in many cases, neck and shoulder pain can easily be prevented and treated at home using simple methods such as exercises and acupressure for neck pain.
How to prevent neck pain
Sleeping in the right position and good posture are key to preventing neck pain.
- Use a low, firm pillow for sleeping
- Avoid neck collars unless you have been specifically told to wear one - it is much better to keep your neck mobile
- Check your workstation to make sure your posture is correct while using a computer
How to get rid of neck pain, naturally
In many cases, neck and shoulder pain can be relieved by taking over-the-counter painkillers. But if you are wondering how to get rid of neck pain using natural methods, the good news is that there are plenty of things you can try.
- Use a heat pad or hot water bottle on the affected area to relax the muscles
- Do regular neck exercises – gently tilting your head up and down and side to side is ideal
- Book a massage or acupuncture session
- Use acupressure for neck pain at home or in the office whenever you feel tense
For more detailed information, get our free ebook!