Our heads are supported by our neck, which consists of seven bones (vertebrae) that are stacked up on top of each other.
When something is out of whack (whether due to trauma or anything else) we can experience pain and discomfort.
Simple everyday activities can contribute to neck and shoulder pain, like playing sports, driving your car, or even just using the telephone while working at your desk or computer.
Thankfully, these common triggers often respond well with the following self-help techniques.
- Heat and massage can be used to help loosen a sore neck joints, reducing pain and muscle spasms.
- Pay attention to your posture when standing or sitting. Try lifting your chest while nodding your chin and relaxing your shoulders.
- Set up your workstation to help you to sit properly. Stretch often while you are working.
- Don't sleep on your stomach because this can put strain on your neck. Use a down pillow for neck support.
- Use relaxation techniques like deep breathing and meditation. Get plenty of exercise in order to improve your muscle tone.
- Wrap a hot water bottle in a towel or take a hot shower for pain relief.
- If you're going to be outside in cold weather, make sure to dress accordingly. Keep warm.
- Continue to move your neck as much as the pain will allow.
If you want to know more about neck and shoulder pain and all-natural home remedies, be sure to grab our ebook: