In this world of deadlines, pressure and constant stimulation a common disorder affecting people seems to be the combination of anxiety and depression. Many people are interested in treating their depression without medication, or want natural remedies for anxiety, but don't know where to turn.
If you want to try some non-chemical methods of treating your anxiety and depression give some of these suggestions a try. Even if you are currently receiving treatment for anxiety and depression, these simple steps can help ease your mind even more.
Simple Steps to Combat Depression and Anxiety
- Meditation/Breathing. (Spoiler alert: you don't have to become a buddhist or stop grow a ponytail!) Taking the time out each day to sit quietly and clear your brain of the racing thoughts is a wonderful way to ease anxiety. If you also suffer from depression, it is a simple way to remind yourself that you are more than your chemical make-up. Creating a simple mantra such as "I am joyful" can make all the difference. If that is too wierd for you, stick to the 4-7-8 method: breath in for 4 seconds, hold your breath for 7 seconds, and then breathe out for 8 seconds.
- Exercise. Exercise not only gets your muscles working and your endorphins up, it can help release the anxiety that builds up in your mind and body as well as boost your mood to help calm the depression.
- Get out into Nature. Getting out into nature is a wonderful way to calm the mind, body and spirit. Fresh air, singing birds and flowing water are soothing as well as being a reminder that there is more to life that our anxiety or depression.
- Eat Healthy. Keeping your body healthy can keep your mind healthy. Don't bog yourself down in fatty, sugary foods. Eat bright, leafy greens and nutrient rich vegetables. Your body will feel better and eventually, so will your mind.
- Spend time with your support system. Staying in touch with people who love you can feel almost impossible to do when you are depressed or anxious but it is vital to your mental well-being. They remind you that you are not alone, that you have love around you and that you have people to lean on when you are feeling poorly.
- Forgive yourself for failure. When you are anxious or depressed you often take failures harder than what is healthy. Start to realize that failure is going to happen. What makes that OK is that you learn from the failure, you pick yourself up and you try again.
- Alternative healing therapies. Massage therapy, reiki and acupuncture are all excellent natural remedies for anxiety and depression. Relaxing the body through reiki or massage can help you uncloud your mind and see a path forward from anxiety and depression. Acupuncture has been used for thousands of years to treat these symptoms and many others.
Whatever you do, do not be afraid to reach out for help if you are feeling anxious and depressed. Chances are, you know more than one person who has felt the same way and can help you find a way to heal yourself, body, mind and spirit.
Remember: Treating depression without medication is not something to take lightly. If you are unsure, the best advice is to see a licensed professional who has experience with treating anxiety and/or depression.
To find out more about acupuncture and how it may help you, grab our free ebook: